Fatty, Apple and Cheese Tarts
This is one of my versions of the fast food breakfast sandwich. They can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator and just warmed up in the microwave or toaster oven. This is about as simple as it gets when it comes to baking in the smoker! They can also be done in the oven but I love the flavor you get when you smoke food. I’ve made 40 of these at a time and they never last more than a few minutes!
If your new to smoking meat your probably wondering what a fatty is. It’s one of those big fat Jimmy Dean type sausages. There’s so much you can do with those things! It only limited to your imagination.
This is all you need to make Fatty, Apple and Cheese tarts:
You can use any brand of breakfast sausage, even your own homemade sausage – whatever you like. Same with the crescent roll dough any brand will do. I do like using delicious apples for this because they are sweeter. If you use a sour apple add brown sugar.
Peel and shred apples. Unwrap dough and divide into triangles. Unwrap sausage.
On a lightly floured counter top place dough an inch or so apart or you could just make one at a time. I do everything like an assembly line it’s faster.
1) Place a small bit of sausage on the dough near the bottom. This should be about a teaspoon or so.
2) Next sprinkle some shredded apple on the meat
3) and finally sprinkle some cheese on top of that.
1 2 3
1 2 3
4) Fold the corners in to help hold in the filing in place.
5) Fold up the bottom section up over the filling
6) Fold the top section down over the tart
7) Roll the last tiny piece around the dough
8) Sprinkle tart lightly with cinnamon to taste.
9) Bake tarts at 400ºF for 10 to 12 minutes
Place in smoker on foil or smoking rack at normal temperature of 230 to 250ºF until tart is crisp and golden brown.
Site Topical Menu
(talk to others, ask questions and share your experiences)
Stay on top of your DSP recipes and links! Download our FREE Toolbar by clicking the link below!
toolbar powered by Conduit
The Smoke Ring - A linked list of BBQ websites
A complete list of The Smoke Ring members
© DJx2 2007